Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'll test that recipe again

My dad and I are on the list to receive recipes to test for Cook's Illustrated magazine. We both subscribe to the magazine and love page after page of cooking and recipes, with no advertising. Being recipe testers allows us to try things we probably wouldn't have tried in our kitchens, like the Thai Beef recipe my dad recently made, as well as this so-called heavenly spice cake he baked that I apparently really missed out on. ;o)

I've only cooked one of the many recipes I've been sent, due to lack of time, a lack of funds and lack of mouths to feed it to, as most of them serve 4-6 people, sometimes more. So when a recipe came to my e-mail inbox this month for French Onion Soup, I decided to give it a whirl, since I LOVE French Onion Soup and it is relatively inexpensive to prepare. But it requires using a broiler and mine doesn't work on my old-fashioned stove (and cannot be repaired on said antique). My dad always lets me use his kitchen whenever I want to, and gleefully anticipates his daughter cooking for him. So we made plans for me to come to his place Wednesday, since I had the day off from work.

Unfortunately, I misjudged how long the recipe would take to cook, and got a late start -- I showed up late in the day and we had to shop for supplies. So dad and I didn't end up eating French Onion Soup till about 1 a.m. Didn't matter. It came out FANTASTIC, and I didn't have to be at work until 1 on Thursday anyway. You wouldn't think it would be a long process, but some recipes require patience and a few long steps to acquire a depth of flavor. And that's exactly what this soup had: depth and complexity of flavor. Those of you who've had French Onion Soup in a diner: this is NOTHING like that tasteless swill. LOL I have leftovers, and I hope they reheat well. ;o)

1 comment:

KatieBeth said...

That sounds delicious, Mer!